3.05.2009

30 degrees of Seperation...

Well, I just got back from visiting my parents in Maryland and while I had a wonderful time seeing them and celebrating my dad's birthday; it's really nice to be home.

My friend Lindsey and I drove together with her sweet dog, Tess. It was a 9 hour journey (both ways), one in which, Tess decided she liked the view from the floor between the backseat and the driver's seat! Poor girl was so stressed. All in all it was a very uneventful drive and Lindsey and I are still friends!

While in Maryland, my mom, dad and I rode the metro to Washington, D.C. Now, it needs to be said that this was by no means my first trip to D.C. However, it was my first time seeing the historic documents of our great nation. I tried to view the Constitution and Declaration of Independence a little bit ago, but was "unable". Anyway, it was all very neat and I can now check that off my proverbial "to do/see" list. While in the capital, we also went to the the Spy Museum. It was a lot of fun and I highly recommend it to anyone. They have things from the CIA, KGB and other acronymed agencies as well as mementos from film spies (yes, that includes Austin Powers).

Because of the snow storm that hit the area on Sunday night (it dropped 7.5 inches) we decided to fore go the trip we had planned to Monticello (Jefferson's house). The snow and the 3 hour drive both ways was making it look less and less appealing. So we stayed in town and walked around the shopping malls and went to a movie (Paul Blart: Mall Cop--cute movie). Most of our week was like that, very low key.

Tuesday was my dad's 60th birthday and B's 30th birthday! And we celebrated my dad's by making him breakfast and playing Wii and Wii Fit, which, was followed by dinner at a great Polynesian restaurant. B's was celebrated with his coworkers/friends and in lieu of a cake he had banana-nut bread.

On Wednesday, my folks and I traveled to Alexandria, Virginia and walked the quaint old town area. The buildings were really beautiful and reminded me of a smaller version of downtown Charleston. For lunch we stopped at a pub (a converted house) called O'Conelly's. The food was tremendous and it was completed with an Irish server! Once we had explored what we could of the town, we made our way to Starbucks for tea and coffee and saw a security detail. How does one distinguish a security detail you might ask. Well, the fact that all the men were clean cut, wearing (what I can assume is) a standard issue black trenchcoat coupled with a curly ear piece; I'd say it's a pretty good estimate. Still not sure who they were looking after but considering it's the second one I've seen in my life (in an everyday situation) I consider it pretty darned cool!

After the coffee we met up with Lindsey and her mom and I had to wish my parents goodbye. I would be spending the night at Lindsey's parents home so we could leave bright and early (and cold) the next day to come home. When we left Virginia it was 30 degrees by the time we pulled into my driveway it was 65! So from puffy coats to Capri pants; we had over 30 degrees of separation in 9 hours...crazy!

Though my trip to Maryland was relaxing and restful, it was by no means boring. It was a great respite from home and the recharge to my batteries that I really needed.

No comments: