9.19.2007

July 2007

I recently returned from visiting my parents' home in Maryland. We spent a lot of time seeing historical and interesting places like Annapolis, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C. And, while all of it was very neat to see I couldn't help but pull a "Michelle".

Those who know me well know that stupid things come out of my mouth at inopportune moments. Typically they never hurt anyone else's feelings but rather get a notable expression or laugh. Needless to say I had one of my moments at the Library of Congress on Saturday.

Led by misinformation my folks and I trekked our way from the Smithsonian (half way up the Mall) to the Library of Congress (behind the State House) to see the Constitution (FYI, it isn't in the Library of Congress). It was a hot, humid day and the sun baked each every skin cell that was exposed on my body. We were puddles by the time we reached the air conditioned lobby of the LoC. On a mission I marched up the front desk and told the man behind it:

me: We're here to see the Constitution
man: Oh wow, well that's in the Hall of Records behind the Smithsonian
me: You're kidding
man: Nope
me: (here's the kicker) Well, what's here?
Man: (dumbfounded look on face) Uhh, (5 second pause) well we have the largest collection of first edition books on display as well as the reading room. Let me get you a map of the building.

OHMYGOD! Could I have been more stupid?! I laughed about my conversation with the (very nice) man the rest of the day. Even now I still snigger. I'm sure he got a good laugh, too.

"What's here" good morning, Michelle.

1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

BUWAHAHAHAHA! I would have never guessed. Um, this totally ruins that Nicholas Cage movie for me. :)