9.19.2007

July 2007

Last night, 3 friends and I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (in 3D at IMAX). We arrived at the IMAX theater at 8:00 o'clock for a 9:30 showing; it sounds absurd, but thank God we did as the line went out the door by the time the doors to the theater opened and we were ready to be seated.

When we were finally in our seats with our 3D specs in-hand we were instructed that when the green glasses appeared on the screen we were to put on the Paris-Hilton-gone-bad-glasses and when they appeared in red we were to take them off. Easy enough. (see picture)

The movie started sans previews (which I was glad for since we had waited an hour and 15 minutes to get into the theater). I have to say I was very impressed with the movie. I did not expect for the director, David Yates to put everything from the book into the movie as it would have been close to 5 hours long if he had. The special effects were incredible and with each new movie I am amazed at what the FX folks can pull off.

With each new movie I am also impressed at the level of improvement of acting ability for the youngsters. Daniel Radcliff was great to say the least and it is obvious Emma Watson and Rupert Grint have become more comfortable in front of the camera. All the kids did a fantastic job and Imelda Staunton who plays Dolores Umbridge is wickedly wonderful!

As we, along with the full theater, experienced the film, the green glasses appeared at the bottom of the screen. A muffled commotion followed as all of us retrieved our glasses and placed them on our faces. It took a little getting used to them, but when the 3D action began I was glad I had paid a little extra for it. The creatures and the action sequences that followed were incredible by themselves but with the help of the glasses and fine tuning of the film, it came to life. Characters ran towards us, cast spells in our direction and glass fell on us. What a great way to experience this film!

While quite a bit was left out, I feel the integrity of the major plot line was held up and I was very impressed. If you get the chance I highly recommend you see the film, whether in a regular theater or in 3D.

No comments: