1.02.2009

...but isn't that the kissing disease?

Like one of my friends said it's like adding insult to injury. Not only is B deployed but now I find out I have MONO? Seriously?!

It all started on the 30th when I was feeling a little more tired than normal and I attributed it to the holiday/deployment let down and the fact that I had just completed a 10 hour work day (which my body wasn't used to anyway). Add to the fact that I couldn't get warm...that should have been my first tip-off. Then on the 31st, that's right New Year's eve my throat started to hurt at work and again I could get warm, went to Lindsey L.'s house for a New Year's celebration with Michelle M., Jen B., and Katherine S. I literally sat in front of the fireplace the whole night with a blanket. My body was screaming at me and I wasn't paying attention. When I finally got home I collapsed on my bed and passed out. The 1st was all awful and painful.

What finally got me to the doc today was the fact that my throat was on fire with little pins sticking in it (along with other nastiness, which I won't describe here). As soon as I got up I hauled myself to MedCare Express--God love them by the way! Extremely nice people and the office is very welcoming. The only annoying part about this morning was that because of my insurance, I need a referral to see any other doc (that will change soon). So I called the on-call doc on base (because apparently it's a federal holiday yesterday and today--who knew) and got a referral to see another doc. Well my throat was swabbed for strep, which came back negative. The nurse said that when strep tests come back negative they automatically test for mono so they took a blood test. A few minutes later the doctor came back into the room and said, "well your mono test came back positive...blah...blah...blah." I couldn't tell you the rest because I was shocked and awed by the fact I got MONO. I'm racking brain and even now I still can't figure out where I could have gotten it. Luckily, I spoke with B and he's not feeling the slightest bit sick or feverish, which is great because it could affect his job.

It never fails when B leaves something inevitably happens (usually it's with the house). Regardless, I'm going to take a nap.

2 comments:

kaceyleigh said...

goodness gracious! that stinks, michelle.

a friend of mine in high school swore that she got mono from a water fountain... not sure how realistic that is...

i hope you're able to rest & get better fast!

Mitchell4 said...

awe man. Sorry to hear that your feeling under the weather. Sending cyber get well wishes.