10.03.2008

What to Say When There's Nothing to Say

I know the title is a bit ambiguous, but this has been my issue for the past month. Most of you already know I've been working on writing a novel. As of late, I have 83 pages; which is a pretty decent accomplishment, if I could pat myself on the back for a moment.

My problem is getting started; let me rephrase...my problem is getting "restarted". You see my ideas come and go. When they come, I'm on fire. I could sit in front of my laptop for hours; forgetting to eat or drink. Words spill from my imagination onto the keyboard (or from my pencil, if I'm feeling none technical) like the water I just spilled on my lap. When the ideas are gone, they take a hiatus to "never-never land", and I'm stuck sitting in front of a blank screen (or page) with an equally blank look on my face (I can only assume). It's purgatory for the writer.

Lately, I've had thoughts running through my head but they haven't manifested themselves. Does that make sense? It's like when you see someone and you know you know their name but for the life of you, you can't think of it. That's kind of what it's like. I know the route my characters are ultimately going to take, but getting them there can be like wrangling a puppy that hasn't been leash trained yet.

What will happen with Kylie and Drew? What drama will Jillian get herself into? As silly as it sounds, music helps me compartmentalize these ideas. Lately "Crush" by David Archuleta, and "T-shirt" by Shontelle are helping. What I need to do is make a playlist of the songs that get my motor running and play them when I have nothing to say.

No comments: