9.19.2007

November 2006

I have a rose bush. Along with several other people, roses are my favorite flower. I can't take credit for this rose bush, though. It was planted by the woman who owned our home before us. It's just lovely, although right now there aren't any blooms as the cold nights have frozen most of them. When it does bloom, however, velvety, scarlet flowers take over the plant.

When the sun hits it just right, the scent envelops my entire backyard. Faint enough to not assault the nostrils, but strong enough to be noticed (much like those women who wear perfume correctly). It's wonderful to wake in the mornings smelling the cut blooms I took inside the previous day(s).

I love the fact that roses are delicate yet strong. Touch them the wrong way and they'll "get" you. You must be gentle, introduce yourself, never try to grab them. If they're treated well and are given the things they need; you will be rewarded.

And what a grand reward.

No comments: