4.05.2009

Crossing the Bridge, Here and There...


Yesterday, April 4th was the 32nd annual Cooper River Bridge Run. It's a 10k (6.2 miles) race for which people travel from all over the globe to participate. And B was able to participate in the 10k race at their location (they even built a Ravanel Bridge to cross as the finish line) and completed in 55 minutes! We laughed because we figured out that they finished their race before we even started ours...so theoretically they finished before the Kenyans!

Anyway back in Charleston, the day began very early I rolled (reluctantly) out of bed around 4:45 am and donned my running gear and put my hair in the designated pigtails that our group had decided on. A group of us met at Michelle H.'s house where we decided on the caravan and left for downtown Charleston. Once we were parked, we made our ways to the shuttle pick-up location. The shuttles were rows-upon-rows of school buses, it was very well organized and kudos to those who kept all those buses moving. While our driver took us to the start area, us girls tied the ribbons around each other's pigtails. The ribbons were a menagerie of colors and designs from bright pink and white polka dots, neon stripes, yellow flowers to cheetah spots.

When we arrived at the start location and had used the portable facilities we separated into our classes. Jen, Rachel and I were the orange class (aka the walk-joggers). After the national anthem had been played on the trumpet and sung the race began at 8:00 am. The three of us walk-jogged the whole race and stopped periodically to take advantage of photo ops. We did a really good job motivating each other and each person took the lead at some point in the race. We finished really strong on Meeting St. at around 1:43:00 (15 minutes better that my last bridge run).

It was a wonderful time and we eventually met up with our group and then some. Once we had congratulated each other and caught up with others, we walked our tired bodies to Mad River where we enjoyed great food, mimosas and bloody mary's.

I'm a little sore today (the day after) but a good sore. Cheers for next year's bridge run!
**UPDATE: I just got my results, I "crossed the bridge" in 1:33:35! Much better than I thought!**

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize they built their own "bridge"!! That really made me laugh!

Melissa Bitton said...

Yea and congrats! WAY TO GO! You are a running queen!

Allison said...

Congrats on running the bridge! And I love the pic of the Ravenel II, that's awesome!!